Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sugar, spice and all things nice... That's what little girls are made of!

I have loads of fabric remnants from various sewing projects, all of which are too small to use in adult-sized garments... Since several of my girl friends are expecting babies this summer, I decided to put these "scraps" to good use!

I'm totally obsessed with the vintage sewing patterns for children that I picked up at the thrift store for $0.25 a pop. I used the Simplicity #6866 (circa 1975) to create this adorable little dress and bloomers combo.





















The floral print is a lightweight cotton that I "had to have" when I saw it in the fabric store earlier this spring. I used most of it to make a sleeveless top (will post about it later), but was left with only a small, narrow bit. However, it was enough to make the front yoke of this jumper. The light blue is a heavier cotton thrifted from a vintage bedsheet, and it provides a nice weight for the pleats at the front of the jumper. However, it does wrinkle a little bit, but I think it provides a nice, casual feel for the dress.















The pattern called for a small zipper to be used on the back of the dress, but I had some adorable heart-shaped buttons that I was dying to use. Besides, it's a jumper for a sweet little girl, she needs the perfect accessories!

There was only one size for the pattern; size 1/2 (I'm not sure what that means.... 6 months perhaps?). Either way, I'm in love with how it turned out! I can't wait to make more! My best friend found out she's expecting a baby boy, so I'm hopeful that one of my other friends will end up having a little girl so I can give this dress to them. Or... I could always hang on to it in the hopes that one day I'll have a little girl of my own!

Disclaimer: Please excuse the weird layout... I'm still trying to get the hang of blogging! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment